"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Another Work Story: The Birthday Card

Some workdays at the hospital are more challenging than others. This week, as I worked 3 days in a row, each day became increasingly more difficult until the 3rd day nearly swallowed me whole. There are days that it feels like I'm too busy to even breath and Wednesday was one of those days. These busy days are filled with constant phone calls to doctors, educating patients on tests and procedures, administering medications on time, charting and you know, hopefully keeping people alive. 

And while all of these things are important, I often find that my patients need more than just medical treatment. They need compassion. They need someone to talk to. So, in the midst of my crazy day I discovered one of my patients mostly needed some TLC. He kept telling me about his birthday that was coming up next week but when I glanced at his wristband I noticed that his birthday had already passed. I gently told him that it was May and that his birthday had already come and gone. His eyes filled with tears. Due to his medical state, he could not remember celebrating his birthday and as he became aware of his confusion, he became more upset. I stayed with him and held his hand as he verbalized his fear of the time he's lost. I sat there in the recliner next to the bed and let him talk about his past, his family, his pets and his dreams for the future. Once he settled down, I left his room and ventured to the nurses station. I grabbed  an Expo marker and a colored sheet of paper and began to draw. "Happy Belated Birthday" is what I wrote on the front of the "card" and a horrible drawing of a birthday cake and balloons. On the inside I wrote a small note wishing him a happy birthday, many more years of happiness and a wish for restored health. I also thanked him for sharing with me stories about his life. I signed the card, Your Nurse Bethany. I walked back into the mans room and handed him the card. "Happy birthday" I said. The man smiled as tears once again filled his eyes. As I turned to leave the room he softly said, "You're special, you know that?". As I continued to walk away, I yelled back, "So are you."

After my 12 hours were done, I stuck my head into his room to say goodnight. There on his windowsill sat my card, proudly displayed among his other cards and family photos. Now, during that day I assessed this patient, I charted on this patient, I collaborated with doctors about this patient and I administered medications to this patient. But the most important thing I did for this patient was sit and talk with him, make a connection with him and give him the TLC he needed most. 

It took just 5 minutes to make a difference. Even on my busiest days, it's worth it. 

Love and Happiness,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment