"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Friday, September 21, 2012

Gotta Bend When The Wind Blows

Life doesn't always go as planned.

And if you've been keeping up with this blog lately, you know that's the truth. Throughout all of the packing and decision making in those last 2 weeks, one of the most difficult things was letting go of all of the plans we'd made for our future in Johnson City. Now, Paul was probably most disappointed that he wasn't going to get the chance to remodel that house. And I was most disappointed that we weren't going to get to go to the Washington County Fair.

Now, I'm sure that must sound weird to everyone, so let me explain. Months and months before we left Johnson City we heard on the radio that JoDee Messina was going to be performing at the Washington County Fair. My excitement level was indescribable. So, when I realized that moving meant that we wouldn't be going to the concert, my disappointment level was also indescribable. 

You must be wondering...What's the big deal? It's just JoDee Messina. But not to me! Let me take you back to 1998. I'm 8 years old and I'm obsessed with JoDee's new album. Not only did I know every word to every song on that album but I also made dances to approximately half of them. Even to this day, a road trip isn't a road trip if I can't dance away to a JoDee song in the passenger seat. Paul even bought me her greatest hits CD so I could rock out to the best of JoDee for months before the concert. 

When everything fell apart, JoDee's songs were just the right thing to keep my spirits up. I went through 4 stages of JoDee inspired acceptance. 

Step 1: Bring On The Rain



Step 2: That's The Way (It Is)



Step 3: Heads Carolina, Tails California




Step 4: Was That My Life



I listened to these songs every time I got into my car and they inspired my to keep my head held high and to bend when the wind blows. Heads Carolina, Tails California helped validate our decision to pick up and move with no plans and the last song reminded me that we only live once and to make the best of our lives. 

And that's why when Paul suggested we make the drive back to Virginia for the Washington County Fair, I didn't hesitate to say yes. So, after 8 hours of driving from Memphis to Abingdon, I got to experience the best concert I've ever been to! JoDee was awesome and it was a perfect time. Paul said that every time he looked over at me, I was smiling as big as possible and singing along to every word. It's true, I was giddy.




It has definitely been the highlight of our time off, for me at least. Just writing about it now makes me smile. 

Love and Happiness,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment