"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Friday, June 22, 2012

Happiness is Attractive

Paul has a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering. 

And instead of waking up every morning and putting on khakis and a button-up, he slips on cargo shorts and a stained t-shirt. Instead of sitting in an office all day, he climbs ladders and jumps rafter to rafter. A tool belt replaces a pocket protector and his work injuries are hammered finger-tips instead of paper cuts. And even though he is an engineer by degree, he's a carpenter at heart. One of my proudest moments as a fiance and wife has been supporting Paul as he struggled with choosing the right career path. It's a blessing to know that Paul is so happy when he's working with his hands. 

No, he may not make as much money or get a 401K and a benefits package. There is no paid-time-off when it's raining or snowing and the hours are long and hot (or cold, depending on season). But what's more important than money and benefits is seeing the love he has for his job. 

I don't often get to see Paul "in action" and his terrifying stories of nearly falling off roofs makes me incredibly nervous. But over the last couple of weeks I was able to see Paul build some items for VBS for our church. I can't explain the amount of pride I feel when I see Paul working with his hands. I could sit back and watch him build all afternoon. The sound of power tools, the smell of sawdust and the sweat dripping down Paul's forehead shows me new side to him. A side I like. And the way his calves look as he shimmy's up a ladder makes me blush. :D

Yes, it's true. I sometimes find Paul most attractive when he's covered in dirt, sweat and sawdust. He's the epitome of a man's man and when he comes home from work, despite his salty smell, I always feel so lucky to be his wife. 

I don't really know if it's truly the sweat, dirt and sawdust that makes my heart smile when I look at him. If engineering was the career that made him happy, I bet those khakis and button-ups would look very attractive,too. What I find attractive about Paul is his excitement, his smile and his attitude when it comes to carpentry. Happiness is attractive. And as the rush of summertime construction continues, and as he proudly works towards perfecting his trade I find him more and more attractive each day. 

It was a hard decision for Paul to not use his degree but I am confident that it was absolutely the right decision, the one that makes him happy. And some days, I just can't help but kiss my husband because he's looking so good in his work gear. And I think that makes him happy, too. 

Love and Happiness,
Bethany

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely. I've got my degree in English but recently my Aesthetician license because that's what I love!

    Where are you attending church?

    ReplyDelete