"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lessons in Grieving

On June 1, 2012 my grandfather passed away.

Lessons can be learned with death and personal growth can be obtained in healing. With my nursing degree came the opportunity to see first hand the different ways people handle death and the different ways people grieve.

This post is not about my grandfather. This post is about HIS daughter, my mom.

My mother is an amazing woman. She is smart. She is beautiful. She is kind. She is accepting. She is loving. She is hardworking. She is much more than I can explain with words. I have always been proud to call her my mother. And in times like these, when her world is falling apart, she exudes strength. She is poised. She is confident. She is strong. She is composed. She is my mother and I love her.

She has been a wonderful role model to me and as the years have passed, the closer our relationship became. We are not just mother-daughter. We are friends. We talk openly and honestly and our conversations are always filled with laughter.



The funeral was nice. As I sat back and watched my mother interact with all of the visitors, family and friends, I was struck with pride. Even during this hard time, deserving of a breakdown, she continued to stay strong. A beautiful woman in black whose personality brightened the room. A woman who strongly held my grandmothers hand during the eulogy. A woman who was able to comfort many while grieving herself.

My grandfather, her father, would be proud.

But most of all, I am proud. I am proud to have such a wonderful mom who is as strong as she is beautiful. I am honored to have a relationship with her that allows us to share laughter and tears together. And I pray that as she settles back into her normal routine, she allows herself to also be vulnerable and grieve completely without having to be strong for everyone around her because guess what? She is sensitive, too.

Love and Happiness,
Bethany


No comments:

Post a Comment