"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Staying In Scottsboro...

Ever since our (temporary) move back to Scottsboro people keep saying, "Don't you want to stay?"

Stay? In Scottsboro? For any of you who know me very well, you know that moving  back to Scottsboro has never been in my plan. I don't have a specific memory of when I decided that Scottsboro just wasn't for me but some where along the way I began to dream of getting out. 

"Getting out" sounds a little dramatic, as no one was pressuring me to stay. My parents always supported my desire to move away and start a life outside of my hometown. I mean, come on. They're from Michigan for goodness sake. Being nomadic must run in our family. 

And while I've always been pretty adamant about not moving back to Scottsboro, there truly are some awesome things about my hometown. The river is a part of my childhood that I've missed while I was away. The sound, the smell and the beauty of the water makes me smile and remember the good times I've spent either in Paul's boat or sitting in a swing on the bank. The parks and walking trails may not seem great to everyone who lives here, but they are so much better than where I've been. Since being back, Paul and I have spent time on 4 separate walking trails enjoying the beautiful fall weather. And for any of you who are ever passing through, Scottsboro's Taco Bell beats Auburn's and Johnson City's by a long shot. And even though I've been gone for over 4 years, they still know me by name at my local bank. It's the little things that make Scottsboro still feel like home to me.

So, when they ask me, "Don't you want to stay", my answer is still an awkward, "No".
Moving away has always been a dream for me. To start over, to depend on myself and on Paul, to experience new things, to see new places and to find the place somewhere in this world that feels like home. And somewhere down the road, where ever we end up, I hope my bank tellers will know me by name. 

Love and Happiness, 
Bethany


No comments:

Post a Comment