"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Monday, November 19, 2012

Family Planning

Ever since Paul and I got engaged, people began asking us when we were going to have kids.

Hold on, folks. For us, first comes love, second comes marriage and then somewhere way down the road there may be a baby carriage. So, now that we are actually married the question gets asked even more frequently. Even my 6 year old niece asked me when Uncle Paul and I were going to have babies. Talk about pressure.

Anyways, Paul's great-grandfather turned 100 this past weekend and we went to west Tennessee to celebrate with their very large family. And of course there was lots of little ones running around. Babies, toddlers and kids were everywhere I looked. Some people probably love all of that noise and chaos but I was a nervous wreck.

And in less than 48 hours I had said all these phrases and more:

  • Don't put that in your mouth.
  • Stop hitting your sister.
  • Don't touch that, it's hot.
  • Watch your fingers! You're about to close them in the door.
  • Do you have to pee?
  • Are you choking?
  • Don't run in the road.
  • Don't throw that water balloon at anyone.
  • Be careful. Don't get kicked in the head. 
  • You're naked! 
  • Why are you crying?
It was all very overwhelming. If I were to be a mother right now, I'd be in a state of constant panic. Pretty much everything is a choking hazard, every plug in is just waiting to electrocute a child and fire is begging to be touched. So, during the festivities, when someone asked me if/when Paul and I were planning on having children, I could confidently say "not anytime soon". I'm much too nervous to have children right now. I think we'll get a dog first, or at least move out of my parent's house. 

Love and Happiness,
Bethany

1 comment: