"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Things I've Learned About Paul In Our 1st Year of Marriage

After 5 years of dating Paul, I wasn't sure I'd learn a whole lot of new things about him once we were married. I felt like I'd figured him out pretty well. People kept telling us that you don't truly know someone until you're married and live together. "Sure", I thought. "We'll see..."

Sure enough, throughout the first year of marriage there were some things I learned about Paul. 
  • He likes the shower curtain closed after a shower so that the liner will dry and not mildew
  • He brushes his teeth 2 times longer than me, therefore 2 times longer than necessary
  • He prefers to do dishes right after supper
  • His feet stink after work
  • He sometimes has "road rage"
  • He talks in his sleep
  • He snores
  • He likes just enough milk in his cereal to make it float
  • He uses the small spoon for cereal, while I use the big one
  • He loves the feeling of clean sheets
  • He believes in dusting
  • He enjoys vacuuming
  • He steals my "warm pocket" under the covers when our bedroom is cold
  • He'll drive me to work at 6:20 in the morning when it snows
  • He doesn't like it when someone (AKA me) doesn't replace the toilet paper roll
  • He'll wake up on the weekends I work to eat breakfast with me
  • He leaves little love notes around the house for me to find on days I don't work
Now, even though these aren't major things I've learned throughout the year, they are things that help me understand why he does the things he does and how he feels about things. So, I try my best to remember what Paul likes and try to do them. 

It works pretty well. We've found that marriage has a lot to do with compromise. So, I close the shower curtain and try to remember to replace the toilet paper roll. I pour his milk just how he likes it and he grabs a little spoon for him and a big one for me. I share my "warm pocket" even when his feet are cold and he sets an alarm to wake up with me on Saturdays. I'll deal with his snoring if he'll deal with my constant tossing and turning. And since he loves it so much I suppose I'll let him do the dishes, vacuum and dust. (The best compromise of them all.) 

There is one thing I won't compromise on, however. After work, Paul must take a shower to clean those stinky feet. But babe, just don't forget to close the shower curtain. :)

I'll leave you with one last thing that I learned about Paul this past year!
  • He loves me more than I could ever imagine or ever deserve. Each day we've been married, he has shown more and more love towards me and I can't wait for many more happy years with my man.

Love and Happiness,
Bethany


No comments:

Post a Comment