"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Monday, April 1, 2013

A Duck Hunter's Paradise

If any of you know Paul, you know that he really loves duck hunting. Wherever we go, he's always looking into fields or ponds for ducks or geese or any waterfowl really. I've come to terms with the fact that no matter what we're doing or what we're talking about...a random sighting of ducks on land or in air takes immediate priority. And like a good wife, I've even been caught scouting ducks for him whenever he's driving. That's right, brownie points for me.

Anyways, we'd heard and read that Montana is conveniently located along a snowbird migratory route between Canada and wherever they go in the winter. (Mexico, maybe? I'm not really sure.) And sure enough, the hoards birds showed up this week. So, Paul took off work early on Friday and we drove up towards Great Falls, MT for the bird watching event of a lifetime.

See, I'm not that into birds in general so I wasn't sure what to expect. I figured it'd be pretty cool but I was really excited to see it with Paul. If he thinks a pond with 50 ducks is impressive, I knew his mind was about to be blown. And that's exactly what happened.

When we arrived to Freezeout Lake, a management area with several levees creating multiple small lakes, we were greeted what looked like snowy banks. Turns out, it was the thousands of snow geese and hundred of swans swimming together by the shores. On occasion, several hundred would fly up in a group creating a white cloud and then would land in another area of the lake. It was amazing to see.

But it wasn't over. When supper time came, nearly all the ducks, snow geese, Canadians and swans left the lakes for the barley fields to eat. We followed in our car to a nearby field where we saw them landing. We parked close to the edge of the field and watched the thousands of snow geese land to eat. And when a large group would get up to leave, you could feel the wind they created with their wings on your face. Seriously, we probably saw 25-30,000 snow geese. I feel weird even typing that number, because I'm sure it sounds improbable. But, if you were there...you'd believe me. I promise.

We literally spent the whole afternoon watching these animals. Thanks to my mom and dad, we now own a pair binoculars which came in handy when watching the birds from a long distance. Paul enjoyed picking out the green heads, the widgeons, the pintails, the shovelers, the goldeneyes, the teals and whatever other types of duck there were. I love watching the swans. It was kind of one of those once in a lifetime moments...until next year when we can go again. They migrate through this lake every year and creates quite the crowd. I tried to get some pictures, but they really don't do it justice.













Not a bad way to spend a Friday afternoon, enjoying nature and making your husband happier than ever. At one point he said, "Man, I can't believe I don't have my duck call". I can already see him making plans for next duck season!

Love and Happiness,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment