"Eventually all the pieces fall into place....
until then, laugh at the confusion,
live for the moment, and know that everything
happens for a reason"

Thursday, July 26, 2012

All This Talk About Chick-fil-A...

Time for another confession. 


I barely ever watch the news and I could barely tell you who is running for president this year. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't care as much as everyone else does. Honestly, the majority of news I watch is in an elderly patient's room as I hand out their medications. And even then, what I do catch usually brings about a conversation with my patient about how sick and broken our world has become. The news lately is very depressing. 


The elderly mildly disapprove of the what the world has become and tell stories about "the good old days". I love to hear their stories because they've seen so much change in their lifetimes. It makes me wonder what type of changes I'll talk about when I'm wise, wrinkled and in my 80's. 


But thanks to Facebook, I've been exposed to the recent news topic about Chick-fil-A not supporting gay marriage. Am I surprised? No. They are obviously a company with Christianity at their core. They're closed on Sunday's for goodness sake. Coincidence? We all know it's not. My local Chick-fil-A even rewards me for being a church goer by giving me a free chicken sandwich with the purchase of fries and drink with a church bulletin. So like I said, I'm not surprised that a company who has consistently made religion a part of their business would stand up for what they believe in. 


Is that what you believe in? Maybe, maybe not. Once again, we're faced with situations where someone disagrees with another. People like to voice their opinions on how they feel about this topic and are trying to persuade others to take the same stance as them. People who are pro and con this political/religious issue are speaking out. And my news feed on Facebook has been blowing up with people's opinions about boycotting Chick-fil-A or supporting Chick-fil-A or "What was Chick-fil-A thinking" and when is Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day (it's August 1st by the way).


And after I've read a lot of people's thoughts on this topic, I've found myself thinking one thing:


Man, a chicken sandwich and some waffle fries sounds delicious right now. 


So what? Chick-fil-A doesn't support gay marriage. Neither does Cracker Barrel, Exxon and Wal-Mart. Will I go to these places and buy their products? Yes. That hash brown casserole is calling my name. Did you know that Target, Oreo, Ford, Starbucks and Pepsi support gay rights? Will I continue to buy dresses from Target? Yes and I might even buy a frozen Pepsi at their snack bar. 


All this talk about Chick-fil-A has ultimately just made me hungry and want a frozen Pepsi and some Oreos. Some people feel like they need to take a stance and boycott companies based off of their beliefs. And that is fine. We all have our own battles.


"But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" AND eat waffle fries AND oreos. 


Love and Happiness,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment